Re: [Healeys] BN1 I want to drive it

To: mdoust@allstream.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 I want to drive it
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:50:47 +0800
Mark -

Two ideas come to mind (both fuel delivery problems):

   1. You likely have a fuel delivery problem.  Rust in the gas tank has
   probably fouled your fuel pump, causing it to pump slowly...when the car &
   pump is cold, it will be more efficient and pump more fuel, as the pump
   starts heating up (because it is struggling against the rust and crud in
   there) it starts losing pumping efficiency and can only pump enough fuel to
   keep the car running at cruise speed, if you step on the gas there's not
   enough gas to accelerate.  To fix this you must drain the tank and clean it
   out, and clean out your fuel pump & replace if neccessary.
   2. The BN1's fuel pump is located right above the exhaust pipe.  Once you
   are on the freeway for a while, everything is hot, the heat from the exhaust
   pipe is causing some vapor lock to form in the pump which is causing a
   reduction in the amount of fuel being pumped and so it stumbles when you try
   to accelerate. To fix this you can wrap your exhaust pipe with some header
   tape.

To check if it is either of these, when you are driving fast on a country
road, step on the gas and when it starts hesitating, immediately shut off
the motor and coast to a stop on the side of the road.  Take off the float
chambers and see if there is any fuel in the float chambers, if not then it
will be one of the problems listed above.  My guess is #1.

Alan