[Healeys] Back fire

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Back fire
From: Leonard Berkowitz <drberkowitz@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:17:33 -0400
Just read an old post concerning backfiring.  My BJ7 has been back firing
badly for about a year.  I thought it was due to a small leak in the flex
pipe, which I have repaired - no change.  Someone mentioned lean mixture as a
possible cause.  I have reset my carbs to run about as rich as I can but this
also has not helped.  I do notice when the engine is cold there is less back
firing.  I'm not sure if that is because of the temperature or because the
choke is pulled out giving me a very rich mixture.  However with the engine
hot and the choke out there is also a marked decrease in back firing. By the
way the back firing only happens under maximum vacuum conditions, like going
down hill or decelerating from high speeds with my foot off the gas.  Other
then the back firing I do not seem to have any other problems with the motor.
Any suggestions!
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html