Re: [Healeys] Healey oil leak update

To: "'Wayne Schultz'" <waschu2@gmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey oil leak update
From: "John Sims" <ahbn6@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:11:44 -0400
Did you make an insurance claim?

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

http://www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net [mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Wayne Schultz
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 7:04 PM
To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Healey oil leak update

  Hi Everyone,

                       Thanks to everyone for the ideas and input. After
much angst I decided to pull the gearbox and explore what was going on.
It seems the oil pan, engine back plate and gearbox took quite a jolt while
was aware of the bottoming out of the car until suitable ramps were
improvised.
     With the gearbox  out I found several bolts holding the bell housing to
the gearbox now leaking oil and the engine oil pan distorted at the rear
causing another leak that was running down the back plate and dripping off
the gearbox.  I also found that when the engine was rebuilt, years ago in
England, they did install a rear seal kit which seemed pretty dry.
                        My plan is to change the oil pan to an after market
aluminum unit rather then try and fiddle with the original steel pan. Pull
the engine back plate and change its gasket. Check the rear main lip seal
kit for leaks.  Change the bell housing gasket to the gearbox , replace the
gearbox  input seal and reinstall the bell housing  bolts with Loctite
thread sealer. Replace the clutch disk, throwout bearing and lightly
resurface the flywheel.  Let me know what you think, hate to overlook
something while its apart.

Regards

Healeys@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html