Re: [Healeys] overdrive problems

To: "Dr. C. Rubino" <ruvino@ripnet.com>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive problems
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:20:46 -0400
Carl,

The evidence all points to hot and therefore thinning oil working past the
accumulator O rings that have likely lost most of their life and resiliency,
having turned almost to a hard and brittle plastic like consistency and
can't seal as well as they used to. The new oil may well have triggered the
situation to show up at this point in time.

Good news is they cost less than $1 apiece and only the gearbox cover needs
to come off the car and the the gearbox mounts released from the chassis. A
gentle lift at the back of the gearbox, overdrive area will clear the side
cover to get at the accumulator piston. Drain the gearbox / overdrive oil,
undo and remove the left side cover of the overdrive unit and remove the
Piston from it's bore, renew the two orings and reassemble everything.

Rich Chrysler