Re: [Healeys] Running Pretty Rich

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Running Pretty Rich
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:36:38 -0800
Mark LaPierre wrote:

Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 06:25:53 -0400
From: "Mark LaPierre" <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Running Pretty Rich

- I no longer have the intake manifold drip tubes installed.
They have been sealed off.     Could this be a source of my overly rich
exhaust?
<<<

Mark,
First you need to return it to stock - the manifold drain pipes are there for a
reason - factory engineers don't get paid to reduce the profit margin by
putting unnecessary parts on a car!

I've had good results using a dial caliper to adjust the main jet drop. Take
the carb domes off and measure the jet drop for both jets. For instance if one
is .055" down and the other is .045" down, use the mixture screws to adjust
both to .050".
Both should be less than .090" down - it it's more than that you're into
serious richness territory.

Check each jet needle to make sure the shoulder is flush with the under surface
of the carb piston.

Also make sure your choke is returning both jets to the uppermost position when
the choke is all the way in.

--
Steve Gerow
Altadena, CA