Re: [Healeys] Shipping

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Shipping
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 21:40:04 EDT
In a message dated 10/2/10 3:03:33 PM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> I had a very good experience shipping 2 Healey's 2 years ago. Used to be
> Passport but they were and are now a division of FedEx (believe it or
> not).
> Clean beautiful truck, driver that knew how to start both and load them,
> and
> pick up and deliver on time with several calls along the way.

For what it's worth. FedEx has now sold Passport Transport to a private
individual in St. Louis, a car collector who is well known within the
Mercedes-Benz club. I'm doing an article on transporting cars   and in talking
to one
of their drivers last week, learned that all the drivers have stayed with
the company, but the purchase has resulted in the company replacing a lot of
its trailers with new equipment (drivers, of course, own their own
tractors). I've used InterCity myself, but would probably go with either of
these
companies depending on available of a rig going the right way at the right
time. (Since you're moving just one car, you'll have to fit your shipment into
their schedule, when they've got a space available on an appropriate truck
that's already carrying other cars, or have the car stored between legs of the
journey in one of their regional warehouses.)
In any case, my recommendation is that one of the large, established lines
is your best bet, better than a small independent (never can tell about
insurance and/or experience) and cheaper and safer than driving it yourself.

Gary
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html