Re: [Healeys] Best Tow vehicle

To: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Best Tow vehicle
From: Sid Shadle <sshadle@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 17:50:30 -0700
I'll weigh in on this just because I've done a lot of trailering.  I have a
20' aluminum car hauler and a 16' flatbed trailer (used for transporting a
heavy old Ford 8N tractor and all its accoutrements).  I absolutely concur
with what seems to be the general consensus:  if you are planning some
serious trailering, forget the Suburban - fine for the occasional trip to
the lake with the fishing boat, but otherwise?  Stick with a 3/4 ton, diesel
powered pickup from one of the Big 3.  I feel that a fifth wheel dually rig
is overkill unless we're talking a big travel trailer, multi-horse rig or
heavy equipment transport - both my trailers are bumper pull, simple and
easy to hook up, etc.

If you (*and your neighbors*) thrill to the reverberating clack of a
powerful diesel engine, your best bet is the Dodge, no contest - everyone in
the neighborhood will know you're around.  I had a Ford F 250 diesel and put
over 200,000 mil;es on it and only had to install new injectors once, it ran
and pulled like forever.  At 230,00 miles the engine was still strong as
an ox but the tranny was gettin' real tired  I decided to try a GMC (Chevy
platform) with diesel and their Allison transmission - I just this week hit
100,000 on the clock (pullin' the 8N over Donner) and I love it!

Like David said, these diesel pickups don't even seem to know there's a
trailer back there - even through the mountains, they sure don't slow 'em
down.

One other point.  Both my diesels have been full double cabs (at my
wifemate's insistence) and they're great for short runs but you sure
wouldn't want to ride across the country back there.

Have fun and expect to spend some buckeroonies.