Re: [Healeys] jag?

To: Jeff Pelletier <jeff@pellfam.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] jag?
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:54:22 +0800
Jeff -

You should purchase a dwell meter/tach from your local NAPA/PEP Boys
and compare the reading of that meter and your tach.  Rev it through
the main rev range 1000 to 3500 and see what the dwell meter says.  Be
sure to get an analogue meter because the digital ones will be too
hard to read while you are going through the rev range.

You should have the later tach that is basically the same as the BJ8
(internally at least),  Earlier Jag tachs ran off a little generator
on the cam.

I suspect that you have a problem in your tach or possibly your
ignition circuit causing the errant readings.  If the Dwell meter
reads similar to your tach then you may have a problem with your
coil,points or wiring.  If the readings are different then likely you
need a new tach.  You can have yours rebuilt and also thankfully for
your Jag these tachs are widely available.

For jag info the place to go is jag-lovers.org.  The e-type list is as
active as this list, if not a bit more.

Alan