Re: [Healeys] SU Fuel Pump Repair

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] SU Fuel Pump Repair
From: I Erbs <eyera3@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:56:34 -0800
I uploaded some documents on how to rebuild a Su pump to John Simm's great
web site

Ira Erbs
Digs 4 Solutions
Computer Consultants
Portland, OR
On Nov 15, 2010 5:53 PM, "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
> I don't see repair kits in the Moss catalog--the only things that
generally need to be replaced are the diaphragm or the
> points.
>
> The non-electronic pumps have either: a) a capacitor, b) a diode or c)
neither. If you have a capacitor, it might be
> fried (depending on the type). I think if you had a diode the pump would
not have worked, since the diode would have
> shunted the current if it was forward-biased or, possibly, you fried the
diode (but I may be wrong here).

> You shouldn't need a new diaphragm or points--they don't care which way
the electrons move. You probably either have a
> capacitor or nothing to protect the points (or a possibly fried diode). In
either case, the diode does a better job and
> you should install one if you don't have one in there (Moss has them).
>
> You may need to 'polarize' the solenoid--like when you change to neg.
ground--but I'm not sure.