[Healeys] Fwd: Steering

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Fwd: Steering
From: warthodson@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:56:06 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: warthodson@aol.com
To: fredwescoe@gmail.com
Sent: Mon, Nov 22, 2010 10:05 am
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering

If you haven't, check the fluid in the steering idler box, too. Also, grease
all the joints in the steering system. Also, using the correct gasket to shim
the top cover of the idler box is something that is often done incorrectly.
Wider tires will also cause increased steering effort, especially at low
speeds.
I use gear lube, but as long as you have any type of oil in the boxes, I don't
think that is your problem.
2" of free play is excessive. Some of the causes would include, incorrectly
adjusted steering peg (located in top of steering box), incorrectly adjusted
shims affecting end play on the steering box, worn sleeve bearings in idler
box &/or steering box, worn ball joints, incorrectly shimmed front wheel
bearings, worn king pins & bearings, etc., or an accumulation of several of
these. The shop manual has detailed instructions on how to correctly set up
all of these adjustments.
Gary Hodson