Re: [Healeys] Speedo

To: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Speedo
From: Michael Salter <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 18:35:31 -0500
Hi Simon,
I would add to Alan's recommendations the following:
After removing the speedo and before taking the car for a drive try driving
the speedo using a battery operated drill. You have to run the drill in
reverse and find a suitable bit of something to fit into the chuck which
will engage the square drive recess in the back of the speedo.
It has been my experience that very often cable failures are caused by
problems in the speedo itself, most commonly  a seized odometer.
If the speedo starts to "tighten up" as you are spinning it in this way do
not try to force it to turn or you will strip the small fiber gear that
drives either the trip or odometer counter. (don't aske me how I know or how
hard it is to find a replacement gear of the correct type :-))

Michael Salter