[Healeys] Smitty 5-speed for sale

To: List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Smitty 5-speed for sale
From: Bert Van Brande <bertvanbrande@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:06:44 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

I acquired a complete Smitty transmission last spring from a Healey restorer
who was bringing a BJ8 back to original spec.  The idea was to start driving
with with this box, while restoring an original BN2 sideshifter with broken
overdrive.  I also got tempting offers just for the original bellhousing, one
from a 100s owner.  I only live only a couple miles from smitty's workshop so
it should have been a no-brainer, right?

Well last summer I restored the OD and refurbished the gearbox.  OD needed
everything including new uni-directional and the steel ring in the annulus as
both were shattered.  Plus bearings, washers, springs, balls... the works.
Initially the OD was not building up enough pressure but seating the operating
valve ball with a punch and replacing this ball with a new one did the trick.
I got perfect pressure with the trans on the bench driven by an electric motor.
 I ran the box multiple times on the bench for about an hour and operated the
OD observing the speed change with a digital tach.  So I decided this summer
the BN2 side shifter goes in the car and the smitty is now for sale.

Add, info and pictures on British car forum.

http://www.britishcarforum.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=212&title=smitty-5-speed-transmission28complete-29&cat=4

Hoping this goes to a good home.

Bert
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html