Re: [Healeys] Any update on the 6 speed conversion ? BN2

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Any update on the 6 speed conversion ? BN2
From: healeyguy@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:16:45 -0500
Just looking at the numbers, if a 0.47 OD is applied to a final drive (rear
axle ratio) of 4.10 you would be effectively at 1.93.  Unless you are running
at the salt flats that axle ratio will not be useful on the street or highway.
Actually I'm not sure anyone runs a ratio below 2.00. The horsepower and
torque curves of the Healey engines will not work with this set up. Its tough
to climb a hill on US 40 (at or near the speed limit) when your Healey RMP's
read somewhere near idle. Just saw a some what related example of this on one
of the Supercar shows on the Speed Channel. A Viper, that has lots of HP and
torque, falls flat in top gear because the gearing is just not quite right.
The Vette on the other hand had a slightly different set up and powered by in
top gear. Although I would like to drive either at 180MPH.
Aloha
Perry