Re: [Healeys] Healey rear knocking noise

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey rear knocking noise
From: Mark Schneider <mandmschneider@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:29:11 -0800
Paul,

A year or two after having my rear shocks re-built I began to have
knocking noises in the rear of our BJ8. The only source I could
imagine with enough mass to cause the heavy thudding I was beginning
to hear  when crossing a road bump was a loose shock mounting.  I
pulled the wheels off and sure enough I could put a small amount of
torque on at least one of the two nuts on the mounting bolts.  That
quieted them down until late this last summer.  I began to hear the
noise again.  So,  one of my winter jobs this year is going to be
pulling the four bolts and replacing them with fresh new bolts washers
and locking nuts.  I plan to use grade 8 hardware.  I also plan to use
nylock nuts on the bolts in the hopes that they will stay tight this
time.  Although I suspect the reason my old bolts have loosened up
twice is that they are the original bolts and are probably stretched.

If you find that your noise is due to loose shock hardware be sure to
check the bolt holes for egg-shaped wear from motion under load.
Additionally, inspect the shock links carefullly as well.  I have
found mine (again the factory originals) have begun to shift the
bushings out of position.  I am also replacing the links during my
winter projects.

Marks 3
'66 BJ8
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html