Re: [Healeys] frame color -- undercoat

To: "'Chris Dimmock'" <austin.healey@gmail.com>, "'Greg Mandas'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] frame color -- undercoat
From: "Patrick and Caroline Quinn" <p_cquinn@tpg.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 23:22:34 +1100
G'day Chris

I just happen to know about this car - and yes he is my accountant.
Incestuous lot we Austin-Healey owners are.

It is a dark blue BJ7 that was despatched new on 15 March 1963 to the Donald
Healey Motor Company. Nothing unusual about that, but the current owner when
he received the Heritage Certificate found out that it was delivered
finished in primer.

A request for information to Geoffrey Healey didn't reveal much, but a later
letter to Brian Healey was quite the opposite.

Bic stated that he could recall selling a 3000 to a customer who wanted his
car in a dark blue colour. So the DHMC had one delivered in primer and then
had it painted. Brian also said that while the outside of the car was
painted, the engine bay was left in primer as the owner wasn't prepared to
go to the expense of stripping out the engine bay for painting.

Many years later the car was restored and a decision had to be made to leave
the engine bay as it was or paint it in the dark blue. It was painted.

Hope this helps.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

Where even the Texas Coolers have rivets.