[Healeys] BJ8 Rear Shocks

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 Rear Shocks
From: Mark Schneider <mandmschneider@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:09:28 -0800
Listers,

Happy New Year!
In the last year or two my rear shocks have taken to loosening at the
mounting bolts.  The result is a heavy thud on encountering certain
road conditions.  Tightening up the four bolts mounting the two shocks
and all is well until they loosen again.  I have decided to replace
the original mounting hardware with Grade 8 bolts, lock washers and
Nyloc nuts.  Is there a recommended torque to be used on these bolts
and nuts?  While I am pursuing this chore I am also going to replace
the shock links on both sides.  The original links are losing their
bushings.  I ask the same question regarding the torque settings for
the two threaded link ends on each link and the nuts involved in this
assembly.  And, before anybody mentions it, I will check the bolt
holes for egg-shaped damage.  Thanks

Marks 3
'66 BJ8
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html