Re: [Healeys] On The Beach

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] On The Beach
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 00:35:30 EST
In a message dated 2/22/11 6:31:58 PM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> I am thinking about putting something into our local AH magazine on the
> 1959 film "On The Beach".
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction or perhaps has stills from the film
> showing the race, Austin-
> Healeys and the like. I seem to recall a website on it, but my search has
> been less than fruitful.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Patrick Quinn
> Sydney, Australia

What I can tell you is that the biggest role in the movie is played by a
100-6 driven by Ava Gardner when she squires Gregory Peck around. In one scene
they arrive at a country pub late at night with the rain pissing down, top
and side screens up, and walk in to the bar completely dry. Of course, the
folks in the pub are sitting around singing, you guessed it, Waltzing
Matilda.
In the final scene, she drives to Lands End where she watches the submarine
head out to sea. In one of the close-ups, you can clearly see that the car
has no heater -- there's just an Austin-Healey plate under the dash where
the heater control normally would be.
Don't know if there are any Healeys in the race -- which, as everyone
knows, was an actual club race shot in California, possibly at Ontario.
G.
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html