Re: [Healeys] 100 M's

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>, "'Ray Donovan'" <ahstc@live.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 M's
From: "Rich Chrysler" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 20:24:37 -0500
It's really a shame that over the years the Hundreds that were fitted with
the competition, go faster and handle better parts recommended in an Austin
Competitions brochure printed in 1954, over a full year previous to any
announcement of a BN2 or a 100M model, should be shunned and even referred
to as "Fake" M's.
For simplicity we often refer to these cars fitted with the bolt-on bits as
"Le Mans" equipped cars, and they are every bit as "authentic" as can be,
provided the owner isn't trying to pass such a car off as a "Factory M".
As Gary Anderson correctly states, the BMIHT paperwork should help
authenticate a "factory M" via the statement regarding the louvered bonnet
as long as it has its correct body number stamping. Of course the
unscrupulous can fake anything for the almighty dollar.
I've always thought that the M model was a brilliant piece of marketing on
the part of the Healeys, as it helped a good portion of BN2's continue brisk
sales to a market that was about to see the introduction of a 6 cylinder
Healey, and it certainly helped clear out a good number of the Le Mans kits
from Austin's stock shelves. It also helped keep Warwick busy with a nice
clean job converting brand new cars.

Rich Chrysler
Hundred Registrar
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html