Re: [Healeys] Chrome type

To: healeys@autox.team.net, john spaur <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Chrome type
From: Andrew Thorp <bce257@yahoo.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:06:02 -0800 (PST)
Hi John,

Was just reading up on chrome myself and found this page very informative.
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

I haven't seen any copper under the nickel after sandblasting some bumper
overriders and also noted that the nickel thickness wasn't very consistent.
There are areas where the chrome has gone almost on the bare steel. I'm
guessing they had a single nickel layer on the steel then straight to chrome.

As the article above indicates, there are a lot of buzzwords around chrome and
particularly re-chroming.

I plan on having the steel parts like bumpers stripped, repaired/polished and
triple chromed (copper, nickel, chrome) The non-ferrous items such as the
grille and instrument bezels will be stripped, polished and chromed.

Smaller items like screws and dome nuts are hard to justify rechroming but
then again I don't want to replace them with the nearest modern equivalent and
spend the next ten years wishing I had kept the originals.

Cheers,
Andy.