[Healeys] CR

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] CR
From: Austin Healey <pajtamuvek@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:52:47 +0100
Hi,

I have some intresting new data based on a day of measuring.

Soo, I have dismantled a 29D engine, just to make some comparisions.
- rods are equal lenght
- pistons in the 29D engine are the same height as new pistons, soo differ
from the old pistons in the 26H engine.
- stroke is the same
- the difference is the block deck height. The 29D engine is 1.3mms lower
than the 26H block! Assuming that the 29D has a CR of 8.9:1, the 2mms taller
pistons in that "mysterious" 26H engine gives the same!

- Question one: why? As it is a "26H" aka "miscellaneous" engine, the answer
may be hidden forever. The engine has also got a nonusual camshaft with the
same lift, but greater duration than the 29D' camshaft (especialy longer on
the exhaust).
- Question two: where is that extra 1.3mm material? Unfortunatly definiatly
NOT on the deck, as the deck thickness is roughly the same as the 29D.
Somewhere below.
- Question three: wattodo? I can order special higher pistons, but they will
be aftermarket, unproven items. It means risk, if not quite high, but still
some. OR I can skim the block 2mms. OR I can skim the head. OR both. OR I
can order a special thin gasket (with 0.7mms compressed thickness) , skim
the block and the cylinder head to get the pistons were they belong.

One extra think I have uncovered today is, that the BMC 2639ccm engine
existed in low compression-form (Wolseley 6/90 for example). Theese engines
had only got 7.3:1 CR. Wich number is quite close to the one I get if I put
the new pistons in my engine.

???

BMC forever.

Gergo