Re: [Healeys] Steve McQueen Car Book

To: "'Alan Seigrist'" <healey.nut@gmail.com>, "'Healey'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steve McQueen Car Book
From: "Neil Anderson" <neilandcustom@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:03:55 -0500
I just found this book a few weeks ago at my local Borders that is going out
of business.  It is not a McQueen biography per se, but goes through his
life discussing the cars, bikes, vintage airplanes, and motorsports that
were the true passion of his rather short life.  He owned a number of
significant vehicles.

He owned a MGTC when he was a young actor in NY, but the AH 100 he owned in
1956 or '57 after he and his wife moved to California barely gets a mention
the book, even though there is a full page overhead B/W photo of him with
the car.  The first car discussed in detail is a '53 Siata 208S that he
bought in '57.

BTW, McQueen owned something even rarer than a Jag D-Type.  It was one of
the sixteen cars that was converted to an XK-SS.  He sold it and then bought
it back 12 years later and was again sold at his estate auction in 1984 for
about $148,000.  What a deal in retrospect.

The recounting of his driving the '62 Sebring production car race in a MK II
Sprite and a special bodied fastback Sprite in the 12 hour race gives us
another connection to the man for us Healey enthusiasts.

There is an extensive chapter of his making of the film "Le Mans".  An
interesting detail was using a Ford GT40, converted to a roadster, as a
camera car.

"McQueen's Machines" really is a great book that takes you through one of
the golden ages of motoring and the life of a very interesting "car guy".
The rare photos throughout the book are alone worth the price.

Neil Anderson