[Healeys] BN2 overdrive

Subject: [Healeys] BN2 overdrive
From: rpschauss at gmail.com (Peter Schauss)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 16:53:03 -0500
1.  Verify that the electrical side of the system is working.  With
the engine running
and the overdrive switch on, you should be able to hear a distinct
click when you move the
shift lever from the 1st/2nd plane to the 3rd/4th gear plane.  I am
not certain how it happened,
but I had one solenoid that would work when the engine was off, but
not when the engine
was running and in gear, it was not strong enough to open the
actuating valve against the
oil pressure.

2.  Check that the solenoid is adjusted correctly as described in the
shop manual.
There should be a small rubber bumper which the plunger rests on when
the solenoid is off.
If that bumper is not there the plunger may be too low for the
solenoid to pull it in.

3.  Get a guage and check the oil pressure in the unit.  The unit
needs about 420# to stay engaged.
If your pressure is lower than that, the most likely problem is the
o-rings in the accumulator.

Peter Schauss
1963 BJ7
1980 MGB