[Healeys] gullwing motors '53 100 for sale

Subject: [Healeys] gullwing motors '53 100 for sale
From: sbyers at ec.rr.com (BJ8 Healeys)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:02:18 -0400
Gary, late in production of the BJ8, BMC changed the format of their VIN -
not just for Healeys but for all their cars.  The previous designation of
"L" for North American specification changed to "U", and the "G" was added
at the end to signify assembly at the MG Abingdon plant.  Like so many other
changes to Healeys, the change in format was not applied cleanly.  In the
BJ8 registry, I find strings of cars in numerical chassis sequence having
the old format, the new one, or any combination of, use of, or omission of
"L", "U", and "G".   But generally, for BJ8s the VIN format change occurred
at approximately chassis 42XXX.

"HBJ8L/56236" is a mistake in reading/recording the chassis number because
these only went as high as 43026.  By the body number given (81135), and by
reference to other cars in the registry, I can tell that the correct number
is probably HBJ8L/36236 (e.g., HBJ8L/36257 has body 81136).

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA