Re: [Healeys] Stainless Steel Fuel Tank for Big Healeys

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Stainless Steel Fuel Tank for Big Healeys
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 05:39:52 -0700
My Mustang will run on anything from 87-octane on up.  The specs say I get
10ft-lbs more torque in the midrange if I run
91-octane or higher.  It's pretty subjective--you'd have to put it on a dyno to
be sure--but there is a slight,
occasional hesitation when I punch it with the low-test.  It seems to run a tad
smoother on the high-test, too.  I've
mixed 93, 95 and 100 octane fuel in and didn't notice much difference (you'd
need to raise the CR to get any gain from
higher octane,  I suspect).  Again, totally subjective.

I don't know about Europe, but I believe there is a difference in octane
ratings.  The refiners know what they're
making, and unless there's a screwup you should be getting what the pump says
(some brands only put their 'special'
additives in their premium).  The Bureau of Weights and Measures checks the
volumes the pumps dispense (I used to work
there).  There should be a sticker on every pump showing the last time it was
checked.  I don't know who checks the fuel
octane--probably the refiner; I think that's a fairly complex test--so some may
cheat, though.  Would make an
interesting 'investigative reporting' episode.

What do you think of 'Top Tier' fuel?

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html