Re: [Healeys] BN7 over charging

To: npaul72464@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN7 over charging
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 18:34:14 +0000 (UTC)
Ned,

How do you know the VR is working properly? AFAIK, an A-H regulator controls
both voltage and current. That's why there's three coil/points sets: one
controls charging voltage, one limits output current and the third controls the
battery cutoff; i.e. the light on the tach. You shouldn't see more than about
13.8V on the system when the dynamo/engine is running at 1K RPM or more.

Sure sounds like the current-limiting function is not working in your VR. Be
careful--if you're overcharging the battery you'll get hydrogen outgassing (30A
is not healthy for your wiring, either).

Bob

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Need help as to what's going on with the electrical system in my BN7. The
ammeter (which I installed some years ago) is showing a charging of 30+ amps.
Turning on the headlights helps a bit...got me home.
The battery is fully charged and starts the car with no problem. The voltage
regulator is working properly. What else could be going on?
Thanks in advance.

Ned Paulsen
Webster, NY
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html