[Healeys] Piston questions

Subject: [Healeys] Piston questions
From: healey.nut at gmail.com (Alan Seigrist)
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 21:33:26 +0800
Andy -

I've never been a fan of boosting compression on a Healey.  I know
you've already decked the block so there's not much going back, but
pushing compression over 9 to 1 just really isn't all that needed in
modern times without high test fuel.  9.5 to 1 should be ok, however,
but it is at the limit of being acceptable for normal use.

With respect to the rings, I firmly believe that if you are not
racing, there is no significant value to removing rings from a 4 or 5
ring piston.  I've had 5 ring pistons in my BJ8 for almost 100 K miles
and compression is still as good as the first day I put them in.  You
get more problems for wear from using OEM Coopers air filters.  Well
in your case you are using Burgess filters so that's a good thing.
The nice thing about using the full complement of rings is I believe
it really helps reduce oil blow-by over time and helps maintain even
compression.  It shouldn't wear your cylinders any more or less than
having three rings; once the rings have set they really don't wear at
all so one or two more rings is perfectly fine.  I do like like having
the oil control ring on the lower skirt, I believe it really works
down there.  If you don't put the ring down there you should go full
monty and get proper short skirt pistons....

Hope that helps.

Alan