Re: [Healeys] Camshaft Question -- Now MPG

To: gregwilkinson@roadrunner.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Camshaft Question -- Now MPG
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:07:06 +0000 (UTC)
I saw that show too (I never miss anything on the Blackbird--my favorite
aircraft).

At very high speeds the engines were essentially ramjets (now THAT'S
overdrive).

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

On 06/10/2011 04:22 PM, Bob Spidell wrote:
> Power required increases proportional to the square of the speed increase;
>e.g. it takes four times the power and, roughly, the fuel to go twice as fast.
I believe Kelly Johnston's SR-71 was the exception to that rule. I was
watching an interview with two of the SR-71 pilots on the History
Channel (IIRC). They said that when their fuel was getting low, they'd
throttle up. I think that thing was only happy when it was screaming.
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html