Re: [Healeys] 750 mile car

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 750 mile car
From: "Carr&Edwards" <scvc70@epix.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:41:49 -0400
One more comment:

I belong to the Society of Automotive Historians (www.autohistory.org).  Not
long ago an editorial column lamented the amount of "history" that has been
lost because cars with still-presentable original appearance have been
restored.

I used to own such a car (American, not British) and took it to Hershey a
few times after the establishment of AACA's HPOF [Historic Preservation of
Original Features] class.  We'd park it at our flea market spaces, and a
number of other owners of the same model who were restoring their own cars
came and crawled all over/under it, with camera and tape measure and
notebook, because they were SURE that what they were looking at--after 60+
years--was still the way it was when it left the factory.

On a sadder note, I sold the car a few years ago to someone who said he
prized "original" cars (and in fact had driven one himself for years before
he sold it back to the family of the original owner).  Alas, a year later I
saw it in the car corral at Hershey.  I have no idea who bought it, but I
fear the worst....

Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA