[Healeys] The little rubber strap

Subject: [Healeys] The little rubber strap
From: Editorgary at aol.com (Editorgary at aol.com)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 12:55:51 EDT
In a message dated 6/2/11 9:46:49 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> It is a shy little rubber strap about 4 inches long.  It went
> strapped that wire wrapped lead from engine to temp gauge in the dash
> to the heater hose.  I think they were discarded rapidly when engines
> were serviced or repaired. A long time ago I sent it to Roger Moment
> who had duplicates made as he said it was a really rare bird.  What
> is amazing is that it has a patent !!!!!

When I first saw that strap, I thought it looked familiar from my childhood
spending my days in the back of my dad's bicycle shop, and later Norman
Nock confirmed it, not from his past car experience but from having been a
cyclist all his life. We both remembered first seeing that strap on Humber and
Raleigh bicycles, holding the rear handbrake cable to the frame of the
bicycle. I'm betting that when they first encountered the problem of having
the
temp sensor cable fouling whatever it might foul in the engine compartment,
Roger Menadue went over to his bicycle and pulled the strap off of it,
determined that it would work, and then they told BMC to order a couple of
thousand
from whomever supplied them to Humber and Raleigh.
Gary