[Healeys] K&N filters

Subject: [Healeys] K&N filters
From: rpschauss at gmail.com (Peter Schauss)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:43:41 -0400
I just installed a set of K&N filters on my BJ7 and I thought that I would
share what I learned.  I chose their part number 56-9327 (
http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=56-9327  ) which is what
they recommended for HS-6's.  The back plate came with the holes predrilled,
offset so that the center of the filter would be above the center of the
carburetor.  That worked well for the rear carb, but for the front, I had to
drill two extra holes so that I could mount it with the center of the filter
below the center-line of the carb.  For the front carb, I had to move the
fresh air vent a bit to get clearance and the rear plate on that filter was
a tight fit near the hydraulic lines which run from the brake/clutch fluid
reservoir to the master cylinders.

These filters have a stud which runs out from the back plate (carb side)  to
the filter retaining plate and its location prevented them from putting the
mounting holes in the center.  I suspect that both filters would have
mounted easily if they had done that.

I needed an extra thick cork gasket (provided) because the above stud was
held in place by a round head bolt which protrudes from the back of the rear
plate.  Without the thick gasket, the bolt head would prevent the filter
unit from mounting flush with the face of the carburetor.

Peter Schauss
1963 BJ7
1980 MGB