[Healeys] brake pipe threaded ends

Subject: [Healeys] brake pipe threaded ends
From: jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net (john spaur)
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 20:04:50 -0700
Tom,

The flare nut is 3/8" x 24 tpi (BT7 caliper) and you used to be able
to find them at most auto supply stores. The nut wrench size will be
3/8" or 7/16" and if you order them you will need to ask what size
they have. Check your other nuts (no... not your package) because it
is handy if they all use the same wrench. 3/16" steel brake lines
come pre-flared in certain lengths or un-flared in rolls at most auto
supply stores. Steel double flares are easy to do with a tool that
you can usually borrow from the auto shop or buy; they are
inexpensive. Stainless double flares are extremely difficult to do
and will destroy a normal flare tool. If you make the line run a
small wire though the existing line to determine the length then add
to it for the flares. It is better if the line is a little long than
short because they don't stretch. Make the flares then bend the line
to shape. You can buy a cheap tool to bend the line but 3/16" steel
can also be bent by hand (carefully). If you buy a bender look for
one that has a barrel that will accept several sizes. The plyer
squeeze type is not very good. I am not sure about the BJ8 calipers
but the BT7 caliper brake line has two different flares. A standard
double flare on one end and a bubble flare where it enters the
caliper. I believe a standard double flair tool will do a bubble
flare but you need to check the instructions. My local machine
shop/auto parts store will let me use their bubble flare tool when I
buy the line there. Some of the bends are tight and a typical bender
will not work and you may need to improvise a bender with a vise and
metal tube. Also you will need to position the flare nut before
making final bends sometime. I recently made up a complete set of
healey lines in SS but I had the flares done by a shop. Steel is easy
to work with! One caveat is that a steel line can split at the seam
when you flare it and you may not notice it until you check for leaks
or notice a soft pedal but that is just something you will need to
check for by blowing air into the the space between the line and
flare nut once the system is pressurized.

John