[Healeys] Spring washers don't work !

Subject: [Healeys] Spring washers don't work !
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:42:15 -0700
The late Carroll Smith--well-known race chassis builder--hated 'em.  I'll
generally try to avoid them--esp. on Al or
other soft metal--and use proper torque and threadlocker instead (Locktite
threadlocker now comes as a tape that is
almost as convenient as it is expensive).   Note that in critical
applications--head bolts/nuts, bearing caps,
etc.--they're generally not used.

However, I used torque/threadlocker only on my rear shock mounting bolts and
one of them worked loose.  Re-tightened
with split washers and they've held for 15K miles or more.   On my front shocks
I use grade 8 flatwashers, threadlocker
and nominal torque.  Never had one work loose.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net