[Healeys] Overdrive

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive
From: "edic@tampabay.rr.com" <edic@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 21:40:10 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Carl,
I had an overdrive problem with my BJ8. One night my wife and I were out for
a drive when she said," I smell something burning." Not something you want
to hear when driving your Healey. I pulled over and after a cursory
inspection of the engine bay I deduced that I probably shorted out my
solenoid. I drove home and the next day I saw the evidence of a burned out
solenoid. It was a new one I had just installed and thought I had adjusted
it properly, I had not. Here is a website to a MOSS video that taught me
something about solenoids; http://www.youtube
com/watch?v=lI6EhAT9WSc&feature=related
I learned from this video that I had not adjusted the plunger/armature of
the solenoid properly and hence the burned solenoid. Make no mistake; if
they are not adjusted correctly they will burn out. I then replaced the old
solenoid I had on hand and found that when it was all together the solenoid
would click when the switch was engaged, and the gear shifter moved to the
right. All seemed ok except the overdrive would not engage when I drove the
car. I took it to Glenns MG in St. Petersburg, Fl because I was tired of
taking the tunnel off and scratching my head. What they found, at the bottom
of my plunger/armature shaft, it was threaded with a nut. After driving the
car with all the vibration that happens the nut would loosen and even when
the plunger was activated it could not pull the actuating arm. After
replacing a new solenoid and adjusted correctly the overdrive works like it
is suppose to.
I don't pretend that any of my problems are like yours but this was my
experience.
Mel Brunet
HBJL8/39749

grad.gif]