Re: [Healeys] BJ8 shock absorber oil

To: Niels Bengaard <bengaard@850r.dk>, Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 shock absorber oil
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:10:25 +0800
Niels -

Traditionally you could use 20WT motorcycle fork oil as a substitute
for armstrong shock oil as it had non-foaming agents in the oil which
is ideal for use in the shock.

TQF is  Type-F Auto Transmission Fluid which was the standard spec oil
for Borg Warner and Ford Automatics in the 1960s.  It is basically a
20WT oil with anti-foaming agents, designed to work on a high friction
environment like fork oil.  It does not have the friction modifiers
that a more modern ATF like Dex III or IV  has.  It is also designed
to work with older spec hydraulic pumps and lubricate oil seals.

Because of this, this is an ideal substitute for Armstrong Shock oil.
You can simply mix it in the shock with your old oil, there shouldn't
be any issues with its use.

Alan