Re: [Healeys] Hundred Body Number Sequence

To: Rich Chrysler <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Hundred Body Number Sequence
From: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 03:04:19 +1000
Ok.
Personally I love this detail, & I think I need to add some Australian
perspective here. ;-)
Pressed Metal Corporation here in Australia were responsible for part
of the "local content" when BMC started building Sprites and other BMC
cars here in Australia.
The first Sprite they built in Australia was given a body number 501.
That was in conformance with a BMC policy which was underpinned by a
customer satisfaction survey which dictated that no one ever wanted to
buy anything from BMC which wasn't properly tested, and any number
under 500 probably wasn't...
Anyway, the first Sprite shell was 501.
Many years later, we realised that the pressed metal corporation's
previous job was building 500 pressed steel coffins......
Legend has it that PMC took the project, because they didn't even have
to reset the number stamps, and the tooling wasn't much different to a
Bugeye .....
Before you flame, this is meant to be funny, and is based on some
historically bent facts! Ok ???
So if you have a Bugeye with a body number less than 501 in
Australia....  Check your boot.
;-)
Chris
Sent from my iPhone