Re: [Healeys] Inner Tube Sticker Wear

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Inner Tube Sticker Wear
From: Rick Swain <rjswain@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:43:23 +0000
Thanks for this Mark. I haven't had this problem that I'm aware of, but do
have a slow leak in a tire I installed a year or so ago. I'm waiting for a new
tube to have ready when I take the tire off the rim to check it.
I have always used talcum powder on tubes. When you're finished you smell like
a freshly changed baby's bottom (probably not a contemporary baby -  they no
doubt use something else on baby's bottoms today)
Cheers
Rick'59 BN4

> Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 04:13:26 -0700
> From: lapierrem@sbcglobal.net
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Healeys] Inner Tube Sticker Wear
>
> FYI.   Just wanted to reiterate that the wear on new inner tubes from
stickers
> is REAL.
> To explain,   the stickers and adhesive on the inside of new  radial tires
> needs to be
> removed by the tire installer, before mounting.   In my case,  I have only
> 1300 miles on my new wire wheels, tires and tubes and flat tires are
starting
> to haunt me.   I would inflate the tires to about 32lb for a test and with
in
> a few days it would leak done to about 20lb before it sealed itself again.
No
> visual punctures were present and no leaking at the valve stem. After close
> examination ,  there is a perfect imprint of these internal stickers on the
> tubes where the leaks are discovered.   The installer claims that they have
> never heard of this before, but they
> will take care of the problem. We'll see.
>
> You need to mention this problem to your tire installer cause a lot of them
> are not aware of this situation and it will haunt you at the worst time.
If