Re: [Healeys] fuel pump points

To: Dave Porter <frogeye@porterscustom.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] fuel pump points
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 19:23:46 +0000 (UTC)
re: " One pump has a diode (little white pancake thing)"

Most diodes are cylindrical or spherical (the OEM diodes are large black
'barrels' with two flexible leads). That sounds more like a capacitor;
depending on the type it might have been fried when you reversed the car's
polarity.

I fought this issue for years; tried all manner of diodes and capacitors. My
experience is:

- (by extrapolation) no diode or capacitor: pump will work for 2-3K miles at
best before causing problems
- (by experience) capacitor only: pump will work 3-5K miles
- (by experience) diode: pump will work for 5-8K miles
- (by experience) 'transistorized' (power transistor switched by original
points): pump will work for 8-12K miles

I finally bit the bullet and put an SU solid state (Hall Effect) pump in; has
worked for over 20K miles.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA