Re: [Healeys] Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix
From: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:19:51 -0400
Tom--

PVGP is one of my favorite events.  For those who have never attended it
truly is a "bucket list" event whether one is a racer or simply a car
enthusiast.

The track is no track at all but rather a two-mile plus course that is
carved from the narrow, twisty roads of downtown Pittsburgh's Schenley Park
which is given over for the weekend to the event.  The streets are lined on
both sides with multiple hazards--granite curbs and walls, fire hydrants,
sewer swails and light poles that are casually demarked with a haybale.
 About 175 cars in seven groups qualify and practice on Saturday and race on
Sunday.

While all this is going on the Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
holds a "British Car Day" show on the park's golf fairways and greens that
usually draws 500 or so LBC's of all kinds and vintages.  Simultaneoulsly
there are similar gatherings for Italian, German, French, Asian and other
cars, plus classic American iron strewn about the golf course.

It truly is an extravaganzic event and much money is raised for the fight
against autism.  I'm glad it only comes once a year as whenever I am racing
 there I feel I am tempting the gods while hurtling up and down the park's
narrow roads at high speeds in close contact with several other racers with
absolutely no soft place to land should something go sour.  And though some
may say this is not a race but simply an exhibition they are dead wrong and
a search of youtube videos will show otherwise.

Tom, good to see you and Richard and thanks for the meal tickets.  You had
great seats right along the top of the course and I believe I swapped
positions with the 4.7 litre Maserati about where you were stationed.  In
truth he was rather easy pickings, not so with some of the other cars in my
class such as the Lotus Elan and Super Seven and a couple of very fast
Datsun 510's, not to mention the ever-fast Tivvy Shenton in his Jag 140.  I
finished 8th and was glad to do even that.

Seeya again next year--Michael Oritt