[Healeys] Choke control

Subject: [Healeys] Choke control
From: richchrysler at quickclic.net (Rich Chrysler)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:49:37 -0400
Yes, it works great. I followed Norman Nock's instructions to the letter and
I've repaired a number of original choke cables this way. It basically
involves using a big fat old fashioned type soldering iron to get enough
heat. I clamped the old inner grooved shank and knob into a vice, with knob
down. Heat the end of the shank and remove any of the old solid wire inner
choke cable. Carefully drill out the hole to clean it of old solder and you
can even drill it a bit deeper. You'll note that there is a small hole that
comes in from the side of the shank about 1/2" from the end. This makes a
handy indicator for depth. Some paste flux is applied into the hole.
Thoroughly clean the end of the new wire core, apply flux to it and "tin"
the wire by applying a coating of new solder. Also heat the end of the shank
and apply solder into the hole as well. Now with the shank still hot, remove
the shank from the vice and flick the end of the shank to flick the solder
out of the hole.
The above will ensure both the hole and the new wire are pretinned with
fresh solder. Finally with the shank of the end mounted back in the vice,
heat the shank and push the new wire end into the hole until it goes past
the side indicator hole. You can now add a bit more solder to the entire
joint making sure there's no build up on the outside. Let the whole thing
cool on its own and clean up any flux and excess solder. Test fit the new
assembly into the outer cable and sheath. Make sure the groove is running
smoothly and try turning the inner core to lock it, then turn it back to
allow free movement.
Make sure the locking spring sleeve and its preloaded pin are functioning
properly.

Rich