[Healeys] Smiths Tach

Subject: [Healeys] Smiths Tach
From: warthodson at aol.com (warthodson at aol.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:39:59 -0400
As a followup to my earlier messages concerning Smiths Tachs with pertronix
ignitions, here is what a member of our club indicates Nisonger told him.
Gary Hodson

Just got off the phone with Nisonger Tach technician and he advises that
Pertronix made a change in their product that bshortened the rate of pulse
in order to get a higher voltageb, and that is why the newer Pertronix units
do not match up with Smiths Tachs.   They went on to say that older units
donbt have this problem (2009 and older), however the newer ones are not
compatible.   This is probably why you all are not experiencing the problem I
am having. I then asked if they had any written illustrations on the correct
way to bloopb or bnot to loopb the older versions and they said they
did not have anything.

To test Nisongerbs statements, I called Pertronix to check out the
manufacturing date of a spare Pertronix I bought last year as a backup.  They
told me that they revised their productbs circuit board in early 2010, but
didn't feel it would have caused the problems that Nisonger is saying it does.

Bottom-line, the older Pertronix (2009 and older) are compatible with Smiths
Tachs and donbt need the new rebuild.