[Healeys] 100 Timing chain tensioner question

To: List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] 100 Timing chain tensioner question
From: Bert Van Brande <bertvanbrande@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 16:53:05 -0700 (PDT)
Is there a consensus on the 100 4-cyl timing chain tensioner ring?

When searching the archives I find a lot of compelling arguments for leaving it
out as well as arguments for putting in a new tensioner ring.  In short the
arguments against are it can brake up and clog oil passages and cause damage
vs. it's doing the job it's supposed to do and take up any slack, reducing wear
on the gears and chain and keeping things quiet.

My engine is out of the car, rebuild by the PO without tensioner, not sure if
that was intentionally.  I am going over every part of the engine before
putting it back in the car in a month or so.  Now would be easy to put a
tensioner ring in.

BTW, when the engine was fired up 6 years ago after I got the "project" car,
there was no apparent or excessive sound coming from the timing chain area.

Bert
56 BN2
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html