[Healeys] Healey Special tools/ weird spanners

Subject: [Healeys] Healey Special tools/ weird spanners
From: bertvanbrande at yahoo.com (Bert Van Brande)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:09:57 -0700 (PDT)
This is a topic we don't see a lot of discussion about.  I proposed the SoCal
club to put together a "library" of tools that can be loaned out.  Lot's of
these tools you need only once or so.  For a private person it's not very
affordable to collect all these tools.  I still need to start making a list
and get started on this.  Are there other clubs who've done this?

And then
there are the little custom tools one fabricates to get the job done.
 Yesterday evening I went through a box with old, broken and bad tools and
found a 5" taiwanese pliers from a lawnmower toolkit I believe.  I cut two
slots in the end of the arms, not the jaws.   Now closing bullet connectors on
the wiring harness is a snap!

Or cutting following Dave Porter's advice a
couple years ago and cutting a 1 7/8" socket in half and welding a 10" pipe
between the ends to create a really, really deep socket to take a most
stubborn nut of a transmission input shaft.   With the impact wrench this
became easy and it was important to not damage the shaft.

Of course the best
"tool" for me is the Healey email list.  ;-)

Love to hear and learn more
about the tools topic.

Bert