[Healeys] BN1 3 speed to 4 speed

Subject: [Healeys] BN1 3 speed to 4 speed
From: greylinn at ozemail.com.au (Peter & Veronica)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:28:11 +1000
G'day list

My BN1 based Ward Special coupe with its 3.54 diff is great on the road but
an absolute pig to get rolling on a hill start.
To overcome this, Ibve for some time thought about unblocking the A90 first
gear in the BN1 gearbox. Several listers have provided advice about this,
but this hasnbt  been sufficiently detailed for me to have a go at it.
Recently fellow lister Keith Bailey and I had the chance to dismantle one of
his A70 gearboxes to see just how the b
change speed gateb
 (item 56, fig. 4
on p F/4 of the BN1 workshop manual) blocks the A70 (or A90) first gear in
the BN1 application. It boils down to an extra B<b
 of steel on the thinner
lug of the above item preventing the selector moving into that position.
Keith kindly donated the A70 speed gate, and by judicious sideways movement
of the gearbox, I was able to swap this with the one in the Ward Special
without taking the gearbox out of the car. Now I have a perfectly useable
newb
 first gear, and the ability to take off on a slope without burning the
clutch.
In another of Keithbs A70 boxes, the speed gate plate has a spring-loaded
plunger set into it which bears on horseshoe-shaped selector gate b whatbs
that for I wonder?
I have photos of the various speed gates if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Peter Linn
Brisbane Oz
BN1 Ward Spl coupe