[Healeys] Sump pan leak

Subject: [Healeys] Sump pan leak
From: stmiller96 at hotmail.com (S and T Miller)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 17:59:35 -0400
I am helping out a fellow AHSTC member with his car.  He had several oil leaks
in addition to several other issues that he wants me to address.  Found all
the leaks and am looking for some input about one issue.  He has a small oil
leak from the front of the sump pan area.  I cleaned the area and ran the car
and have determined that it is not the timing cover or seal.  So it is either
the front of the sump gasket or the front engine plate gasket.  I am 99% sure
it is not the front engine plate gasket.  I'm planning on removing the sump
pan and gasket.  There is also a cork gasket that mounts between the front
engine plate and the front main cap- yes it could be that.  And there are two
cynical seals that run on both sides of the front main cap- again it could be
those.
So my two questions are:  1) if it is the front cork gasket sandwiched between
the front engine plate and the main cap and/or the side cynical seals, has
anyone had success sealing this up without removing the front engine plate?
2) I've always used hylomar sealant on the sump cork gasket, any other input?
Thanks, Shawn

The Millers
"British Car Nuts"

"Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is a test
drive."