[Healeys] Moss brake recall - rant

Subject: [Healeys] Moss brake recall - rant
From: fiat500f at aol.com (Paul Barnes)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 01:10:21 -0400
- "Have to say I think we're all damn lucky to have Moss, with all their
faults."

I have to say that I think that your statement is the heart of the problem.
I would think that Moss would agree with your statement, and consequently,
can make parts of any quality it likes (as Classic Gold IS Moss) and we, the
British car hobbyists, are "just damn lucky to have them".  No, we are not.
Moss makes/sells MANY poor quality parts, I've seen them myself.  But since
they have nice catalogues, they are the easiest to buy from.  They are not
the stockists of the best quality parts, and they seem to be becoming less
and less knowledgeable about the parts they sell, regardless of what they
say in THEIR British Motoring magazine.  To me, and I guess this has always
been true, the best quality parts are carried by various shops, depending on
the part.   However, I think it comes down to the part sellers.  There are
certain parts shops/sellers that actually know the cars, know the parts, and
won't sell the crap parts.  We all can name a few.
But, y'know, I have to think along the lines of, just how hard IS it to
RE-manufacture a brake master cylinder?  I mean, get an original cylinder,
then copy it.  If it's being made in China, or wherever, it's just 'here,
copy this exactly", then you check it when you get the cylinder.  Not the
same?  Get someone else to do it.  It's reverse engineering in it's simplest
form.  I'm of the opinion that there is no excuse for the brake master
cylinder manufacturing problem at Moss.  Moss knows how to get stuff made,
they know about checking prototypes, they know about lot testing, they know
going for super low cost manufacturing gets them crap parts (Moss Healey
bumpers anyone?).  Moss is not a bunch of amateurs, I think they knew
exactly what they were doing and got exactly what they asked for.
Having recently bought a 1960 Mini, and having gotten about 85% wrong or
junk parts from them in my first 3-4 orders, and now the brake thing, well,
I think I'm pretty well done with them.  At least, at this point, I can't
think of a single reason to continue with them.  My two pence.
 - Paul B.