[Healeys] BJ7 Cam

Subject: [Healeys] BJ7 Cam
From: mayorrichard at hotmail.com (richard mayor)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:47:10 +0000
Yes, it is possible, but it is not fun. I have done it in the middle of a race
weekend when I had the energy to work through the night, with no sleep, and
then go racing the next day with a different camshaft (and lifters) in my race
motor.
You will have to remove the grill and the radiator. The front crossmember,
between the shock towers, will not allow you enough clearance to get a socket
on the crankshaft nut so you will have to jack up the front of the engine so
that you can get a big socket on that crankshaft nut. You will have to unbolt
the motor mounts from the chassis and disconnect the throttle linkage so you
do not bend it. It may be necessary for you to unbolt the exhaust downpipes.
Once you have the damper off, you can remove the timing chain cover and remove
the cam and crank sprockets along with the timing chain.
Also, you must drop the oil pan and the oil pump to get the oil pump drive
shaft out of the way. You must remove the valve cover and unbolt the rocker
shaft so you can remove the pushrods, then you can remove the tappets.
If your engine has more than 20 thousand miles on it, I suggest you pull it
out and do a complete freshen up and change the camshaft at the same time.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon