[Healeys] BJ8 Engine mount set up

Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 Engine mount set up
From: bluehealey at gmail.com (Alan Bromfield)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 14:34:28 +0000
Hi Tom
That was my experience too, hence the details that I sent to JohnS to
publish.
It is the workshop manual that says the clearance should be 1/22". This
limits any sideways rocking of the engine.

Straightforward assembly using the mounting rubber blocks provided today
creates the crazy gap you are finding. It also causes the engine to be
carried about 1/2" too high with air filter clearance problems and perhaps
potential collision between the top of the carbs and the underside of the
hood.

I slotted the bolt holes to set the gap correctly and haven't had any
problems.

On 2 December 2011 12:44, Thomas J. Morrione <tjmorrio at colby.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm working on my 1964 BJ8 and am now (finally) putting in my engine, trans
> and OD. I need advice on setting up the engine mounts. I've read the
> archives and Alan Bromfield's engine mount PDF (with great pictures and
> diagrams) on John Sims's site. Bromfield suggests setting the gap between
> the rubber buffers at 1/22 of an inch (.8mm) and trimming them at the right
> angle to fit where they meet. (The gap now is 3/8 inch on 1 side and about
> 5/8 on the other.)
>
> 2 questions: has anyone had experience with this particular set up and
> adjustment? (John said that he's not heard back about this set up.) And,
> what seems like the gap that would work best if this 1/22 inch isn't it?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Tom

                (__tinyurl.com/healeyforum _)