Re: [Healeys] Windshield wiper problem

To: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Windshield wiper problem
From: Andrew Thorp <bce257@yahoo.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 00:44:32 -0800 (PST)
Hi Michael,

Not sure if it has been covered already but the parking mechanism
requires that the motor be dead shorted to +12V to stall it in the parked
position. This requires a special type of self-parking wiper switch. If your
conventional switch just interrupts the 12V feed then the motor will over-run
its park position and pick up the 12V again at the beginning of the next wipe
cycle. This is why you only get it after a few minutes, the grease in the
mechanism is stiff enough to stall it when cold.

Try this- turn the wipers
off and grab hold of the wiper arm and push it into the parked position when
it goes that way. If that stops the runaway wipers then you probably have the
wrong switch and wiring. I played this game when fitting two speed parking
wipers to a series 1 landrover some years back.

There is an attempt at
explaining the intricacies here
http://www.s2cforum.com/archives/index.php?action=printpage;topic=4968.0 and
you can Google "Lucas self parking wipers" etc for more info.

Just be
thankful the Healeys escaped vacuum wipers. We have just come back from a
3000km trip in my 1957 Zephyr estate and the wipers only ever work if I back
off the throttle, whereupon they have something of an epileptic fit. Rainex is
my friend on long steep hills.

Andy.

--- On Sun, 5/2/12, Michael Oritt

<michael.oritt@gmail.com>
> Subject: [Healeys] Windshield wiper problem
> To:
"Austin Healey" <healeys@autox.team.net>
4:38 PM
> When I run my windshield wipers on my
> BN1 for any more than a
couple of
> minutes they will no longer turn off when I push in the dash

switch.  The
> only way I can get them to shut off is to turn off the

ignition switch.

> I believe that the on-off switch for the wipers provides
> path to ground
> and I've been told that the reason they continue to run
is
> that grease and
> grit in the motor is providing that path when the motor
> warms up and that I
> must remove the motor to fix the problem.  I hesitate
> to do this as it does
> not look like an easy job so any input both as to
the cause
> of the problem
> and a solution will be appreciate.
>
> BTW if it
makes a difference I upgraded the wiper motor from
> the original

single-speed non self-parking model to a single-speed
> self-parking version

some years ago.  I'm not sure but believe it came out
> of a BN2.

Best--Michael Oritt