Re: [Healeys] Jet Locking Nut

To: ahy3000@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Jet Locking Nut
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:57:26 +0000 (UTC)
Haven't had this exact problem myself, but I'd:

- keep up with the penetrant
- mildly (NOTE: MILDLY) heat/warm the aluminum around the locking nuts, which
are either steel or brass (either way the coefficient of expansion of the Al
body is greater than the nuts). Heating and cooling should abet the penetrant
to, well, penetrate
- build your jig or find somebody with a bigger vise--you have to have the carb
bodies secured solidly
- if you can get a decent-fitting socket, if they don't break loose with a
ratchet, consider using an impact wrench. I have a 3/8" impact that will do
30ft-lbs at most, and I've found that--used carefully--it's pretty good at
breaking stuck bolts or nuts loose (did I mention you have to have the carb
bodies secured properly?). This may be preferable to putting a breaker bar on
the socket and twisting the hell out of the nuts (crank the air pressure down
to start, then increase as necessary)

Good luck.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA