[Healeys] Gas Tank note

Subject: [Healeys] Gas Tank note
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 05:58:50 -0700
re: "the picture represents a larger one for the perimeter of the tank."

Couple data points:

- when I replaced my BJ8's tank some years ago--AFAIK the car was
all-original--there was only one gasket, the one at
the opening in the boot floor

- I checked my parts manual reprint--the Moss catalog is basically a re-do of
the parts book's original drawings--and
the tank and sealing rubber are not drawn to scale; i.e. the tank is in a box
indicating not drawn to scale, with the
sealing rubber underneath it; they're the same size in the picture but the box
indicates the tank is not the same size
as the seal (the Moss drawing appears to be a composite of the parts manual
drawing of the gas tank and accessories,
which have their own page in the manual, and a car outline overlay, and they
left off the 'box')

I think if you order the Moss seal you'll find it fits the rectangular opening
in the boot floor, not the periphery of
the tank (but I won't swear on it).  Call Moss and ask them.

IMO, you won't get a perfect seal at the periphery of the tank and the boot
floor.  Water will get in eventually and be
trapped, whereas if you don't have such a seal there's at least a chance it'll
dry eventually.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net